Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Joy Blog...Crafting

Not my pizza, but similar to the one I made the other day


“There is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost.” — Martha Graham



When I was a child my mother was always creating and crafting something. She was a quilter, a knitter and a sewer. She made all of my halloween costumes with her sewing machine, funny now that I think of it I always envied the kids with those plastic store bought costumes. She made all of our birthday cakes, fabulously decorated. She always made sure that we were the kids that brought the awesome treats to our classes for all of the holidays, like pumpkin shaped chocolate pops at halloween. The list could possibly go on and on for this whole blog. However, my point is, I didn't really get how truly special that was until now that I have kids. I remember my mom and I would stay up late making christmas chocolates and candy like chocolate covered cherries and "turtles,"and I recall how joyful it was. As, I got older, my mom would try and teach me other more difficult crafts like sewing, knitting and eventually folk art painting and I didn't get it, I wasn't interested at all. Now that I am a mother of two, I find that I am slowly but surely finding the absolute joy in crafting that my mom knew for all of those years.


As a child when we went shopping with my mom, we would say "mom can we buy that?" and she would say "I can make that." And she did. The other day while browsing on my favourite website etsy I realized that I was no longer shopping, I was gathering ideas because I realized that I too "can make that." Funny how you swear you wont be like your mother, and once you have your children you start to hear your mother in you own thoughts all the time!



I have been busy with several crafts lately, unfortunately my dear camera is being serviced so I can't show pics of some of my latest projects. A couple days ago, browsing on etsy, I saw that felt play food is the latest thing. I got some coloured felt and began creating a felt pizza for my children's "house" centre. I spent all morning sewing the crust, sauce, cheese and toppings together with loving care and I was thrilled! Best of all, the kids totally loved it. I lost all sense of time as I was creating, expressing myself through this medium has brought passion and joy!


Soon as my camera is fixed I will post some of the great ideas, that are super easy and mostly quick crafts. In the meantime, check out this awesome blog for great ideas.


http://blog.craftzine.com/



P.S. Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment