Sunday, August 29, 2010

Affordable Luxury...Fresh Flowers

"Simple Abundance is not about deprivation. Nor is it about spending more than you can afford in order to make yourself feel better."- Sarah Ban Breathnach


Okay, so it's true, I have a taste for luxury. I love the finer things in life, I delight in gourmet food, even if I can only get it a couple times a year. I love diamonds, fine wine, the feel of 800 count bed sheets on my skin. I always have. I get that inner hunger to taste the sweet life, and oh, budget check...I'm dreaming. The truth is, I can't always afford the luxuries my soul is driven towards. Fresh flowers however, I believe to be an "affordable luxury," and one of the ways that I pamper and take care of my spirit. The local farmers market in my neighbourhood, sells 3 bunches of your choice for around $10. Which lasts for almost a week, sometimes longer. I love when a flower of one type is bunched together, it brings colour and a simple elegance to any room. The grocery store bouquets can easily be rearranged for less than $10 and voila, instant beauty! The obvious place for fresh flowers are on your dining room table, but I like to share the love so to speak. Even just a simple rose blossom in a tea cup in the kitchen, or a small vintage glass bottle in the bathroom with a single gerbera daisy. I also enjoy, a bouquet on my entrance table, it's a great way to say "Welcome." Perhaps you are lucky enough to have fresh flowers in your garden outside that you can cut and bring indoors, and then this becomes a very affordable luxury! I have fresh lavender growing outside in my garden I like to cut the lavender and put a bunch in small glass bottle beside my bed, it looks pretty and it's a great way to add some aromatherapy to your bedroom, as lavender promotes relaxation. Use flowers to add colour to your decor, find flowers that help you celebrate the seasons,declare that it's okay to buy yourself flowers instead of waiting for a significant other to bring them to you.
These beautiful roses, given to me by my friend Jenny, in my favourite pitcher.



Beautiful Sunflowers at my entrance way, given to me by my Aunt Les and Uncle Joe


Yellow Daisies in my other favourite turquoise glass vase, brightens up my living room
Can you tell I love daisies?

Fresh Tulips in the spring!

"I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck." ~Emma Goldman

No comments:

Post a Comment